Over the next few months, the Wisconsin MBA Admissions team will meet prospective students at MBA conferences. These events are a great opportunity to stand out in a competitive applicant pool and start building relationships with admissions professionals. Below are some tips to help you make the most out of these opportunities.
- Do some self-reflection. Ask yourself: Why are you interested in pursuing an MBA? Why is now the right time for you to go back to school? How does an MBA fit in with your short-term and long-term goals? Admissions teams will likely ask you these questions as a starting point to your conversation.
- Do research. Research the schools that will be attending the MBA Fair and become familiar with their programs. Are they a general management MBA or a specialized MBA program? Do they have international travel opportunities? Do they offer experiential learning opportunities to their students? This will set a solid knowledge base for future interactions with the programs.
- Treat it like a job interview. This is the first interaction you will have with an admissions committee member, and you want it to be positive. Admissions committees read through many applications each year - any face-to-face contact is memorable.
- Bring an updated résumé. When having in-depth conversations about your career goals, it’s helpful to have a résumé for reference.
- Come with questions. Prepare a set of questions to ask the admissions representative that cannot be easily answered on the website. While admissions team members don’t mind reiterating the application requirements or deadlines to you, the conversation will be more valuable if you ask questions that are meaningful to you.
- Follow up. There’s nothing more memorable than a thoughtful thank you note or email.
MBA conferences are often a free or low cost resource that can help jump start your admissions process. Be sure to take advantage of the school presentations, admissions committee panels, and informational seminars. All can arm you with information and help you be intentional and efficient with your MBA search.
Curious where we will be traveling the next few months? Sign up for more information and check the admissions events page for an up-to-date list of our travel schedule.