Guidelines for Choosing Your Courses
• If you have been nominated by your home school as an undergraduate student, you must take at least 12 credits to maintain visa status, and may enroll for as many as 18 credits. Undergraduate students may only take courses numbered 699 and below.
• If you have been nominated by your home school as a graduate student, you must take at least 8 credits to maintain visa status, and may enroll for as many as 15 credits. Graduate students may take any course numbered 300 or above unless specifically precluded, but should primarily take courses numbered 700 and above.
We encourage you not to take the maximum number of credits while studying here. Remember that some portion of your education is always “extra-curricular,” and this is especially true when studying abroad! You may enroll for the maximum number of credits at first if you’d like, and then decide later if there are courses you want to drop.
- You may drop courses from the time you initially enroll, through the first few days of the semester, and no record of it will appear on your final transcript
- You may drop a course later in the semester with no academic penalty, but your transcript will reflect the drop
- You may not drop a course after the final drop deadline
You may also add courses anytime through the second week of class. See https://registrar.wisc.edu/dates/ for specific deadlines, and make a note of these dates.