The winners for the 2016 Wisconsin Governors Business Plan Contest were announced on Wednesday, June 8th and we are pleased to report that recent graduates placed well in the contest and were involved in various entrepreneurship classes or programs during their time at UW. The contest had over 200 entries and this is the second year in a row that the winner of the grand prize was a recent UW graduate. Katie Brenner (WEB '14) won last year's contest with BluDiagnostics and has raised $1.2M to launch her fertility monitoring product.
The 2016 results were as follows:
• 1st Place-Advanced Manufacturing & GRAND CHAMPION: Hyde Sportswear: Pat Hughes (BBA '12 with majors in accounting and entrepreneurship). A skinny flotation jacket.
• 1st Place-Life Sciences: Lynx Biosciences: Chorom Pak (WEB '11) & Teddy de Groot (WEB '15). An improved test for blood cancer treatment
• 2nd Place (tie)-Advanced Manufacturing: Linectra: Brandon Walker (WEB '12). Short run, metal, 3-D printer
• 2nd Place (tie)-Advanced Manufacturing: Xemex Mixer: Eric Ronning (UW Eng.). An improved industrial mixer
• 2nd Place-Information Technology: WeightUp Solutions: Daniel Litvak (ERLC, WAVE '16) & Pete Chulick (WEB '14, WAVE '16). A sensor and reporting system for weightlifting.