Share This Page

Academic FAQs from Undergraduate Academic Services (UAS)

by Katie Coon Tuesday, September 6, 2011

As a business student, there are many things you need to know regarding academics, course selection, policies, and more.  Below are five frequently asked questions that you will want to know the answer to as a business student.

1. Can I run a double major DARS in my Student Center?

Unfortunately students can only run a single major DARS report in their Student.  For instructions on running a single major DARS, see this handout. To run a double or triple major DARS, students should contact their academic advisor or stop by UAS in 3150 Grainger Hall.


2. How do I add or cancel a business major?  Do I need to speak with an advisor before changing my major?

To add or cancel a business major (or the Health Care Management Specialization), students should fill out the Business Major Declaration Form.  Students should then return the completed form to UAS in 3150 Grainger.  Students are not required to see an academic advisor before adding or canceling a business major, however students are advised to research major requirements, be aware of pre-requisites, and understand how this major selection may impact graduation plans.


3. I would like to take a course pass/fail.  Can I do that?

Undergraduate Business students who are in good academic standing may take one course as pass/fail per semester including the summer session.  A maximum of twelve total credits may be completed as pass/fail to count towards completion of the 120 degree credits required for the BBA.

The pass/fail privilege is for a Non-Business elective course. The following courses cannot be taken pass/fail:

  • all business courses including those designated as "meets with," "cross-listed," and those taken during study abroad programs
  • any requirement for the Business major or degree, including, but not limited to, pre-business and liberal studies requirements
A School of Business undergraduate who is not on probation may elect a total of 12 pass/fail credits during the sophomore, junior, and senior years. The pass/fail grade will not be included when computing your GPA, but the pass/fail credits with S (Satisfactory) grades will apply toward graduation; S is the grade for A to C; U is the grade for D and F.

Students must complete a minimum of 12 graded credits in order to be eligible for the Dean's List.

In order to apply for the Pass/Fail Privilege, students must submit an online request to the Undergraduate Academic Services Office by following these directions.  The last day to change a course to pass/fail for the fall 2011 semester is Friday, September 30.

4. I will be a part-time student this semester.  How might this affect me?

In order to be considered a full-time student, students must be enrolled in 12-18 credits during the fall and spring semesters.  If students drop below 12 credits, they should keep these possible scenarios in mind.


5. My friends in Letters and Science said that they have to take their last 30 credits on campus.  Is this true?

The Wisconsin School of Business does not require a student to take his or her last 30 credits on campus, however students admitted to the Wisconsin School of Business must complete a minimum of thirty (30) credits in business courses on the UW-Madison campus to satisfy degree requirements for the Bachelors of Business Administration (BBA).