Diversity and inclusion are aspirational values for the Wisconsin School of Business. We are constantly striving to be better with the goal of becoming an increasingly diverse and inclusive community. Diversity and inclusion are guiding principles for the school as we work to provide premium learning experiences and focused research excellence with the goal of becoming an exemplary knowledge enterprise.
- Employers are demanding more diversity among students interviewing for internships and full-time positions and want to recruit at diverse institutions
- Employers want to hire students who are culturally competent
- The PEOPLE Program—We work with the larger University of Wisconsin-Madison campus to support the PEOPLE Program, which helps students of color and those from low-income households make the transition from middle school to high school and high school to college. The Wisconsin School of Business welcomes 10–15 students to the school every summer for a six-week program to familiarize them with business careers and fundamental business subjects such as accounting, entrepreneurship, and marketing
- The school also works closely with campus programs like Chancellor’s Scholars, Summer Collegiate Experience, Center for Educational Opportunity, and Advanced Academic Placement.
Consortium for Graduate Study in Management—The Wisconsin School of Business was one of the founding members of the consortium, which aims to increase diversity in business and by increasing the number of underrepresented minority students in top business schools. Each year, the Wisconsin MBA awards fellowships to consortium students.
- Lunch & Learn sessions on diversity topics.
New Employee orientation
The Diversity Advisory Board serves as a resource and an advisory committee to the director of diversity on relevant issues such as the recruitment of diverse students, faculty and staff, building cultural competence among the Wisconsin School of Business community, and promoting an inclusive culture.
New Employee Meet & Greet With the Dean
November 11 | Kohl Center
Diversity Summit: MBA Prospective Preview Days
October 31-November 2 | Grainger Hall
UW-Madison Diversity Forum
October 21 & 22 | Union South
Lunch and Learn: Being Black in Business
October 15 | 12:30pm | 1310 Grainger
Please join us for dessert and discussion led by a group of faculty, staff, students, and community members on their experience as African Americans in business.
The Lunch and Learn series is designed to help students, faculty, and staff understand and appreciate the variety of backgrounds and experiences represented by members of the Wisconsin School of Business, connect with colleagues to influence an inclusive culture, and increase the cross-cultural competence of the WSoB community. Sessions are led by faculty, staff, and students who are interested in sharing their own experiences with the larger community. Each session highlights a different area of diversity and inclusion. These events are open to all students, staff, and faculty.
Past topics have included 'Being Gay in Business' and 'Being Muslim in America'.