Wisconsin BBA Pre-Business Admission
Becoming a Business Badger begins with admission to the University of Wisconsin–Madison.
Students are admitted to the university in the College of Letters & Science and complete a one-year
pre-business preparatory curriculum. Students should apply to the Wisconsin BBA Program in the
spring semester of their first year for admission into the program beginning the fall semester of their
sophomore year. Students can apply up to two times prior to earning 86 credits (senior standing),
although priority is given to students who apply in their first year. About 90% of current Wisconsin
BBA students gain admission through the pre-business process.
Pre-Business Course and Credit Requirements
To be considered for admission, students must complete the following by the end of the spring semester in which they apply:
- 24 degree credits of coursework in-residence at UW–Madison
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
Four pre-business courses. Advanced coursework in high school (AP, CLEP, or IB) can fulfill these coursework requirements:
- Communications Part A: English 100, Com Arts 100, OR ESL/English 118
- Calculus: Math 211, 217, OR 221
- Microeconomics: Economics 101 OR 111
- Psychology: Psychology 201, 202, OR 281
The Wisconsin BBA admissions team holistically considers your academic and non-academic strengths, gifts, and talents. In addition to reviewing your academic history and GPA through the spring semester, you must submit the following for review:
- Wisconsin BBA Admission Application: Provide academic and non-academic information
via the online application at go.wisc.edu/applybba.
- Résumé: Convey your leadership, impact, and other significant involvement in campus student organizations, community organizations, and/or jobs through a 1-page résumé.
- Essays: Respond to the prompt(s) via essay(s) that are on topic, personalized, and well-written.
- BBA admission application OPENS: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 8 a.m. (CT)
- Once students log in to the admission application, they have 24 hours to complete
and submit all components.
- BBA admission application CLOSES: Friday, March 25, 2016 at 4:30 p.m. (CT)
- Application decisions announced: late June/early July
For a listing of all pre-business events for this semester, please click here.
BBA Admissions 101 and 102 Sessions
These sessions outline the admission process, highlight strategies to be a competitive applicant, and provide guidance with your résumé and essay preparation. To review the schedule of offerings, click here.
Résumé Resource Guide for BBA Admission Application
This guide outlines best practices for the content and format of your résumé and complements BBA Admissions 101. The Résumé Resource Guide will become available on this page when Admissions 102 sessions resume this fall.
UW Writing Center
The writing center offers drop-in meetings and appointments to help you prepare for your admission essays. Learn more here.
Pre-business advisors are available to help you throughout the admission process. See your advisor for help with:
- Questions about the admission application
- Feedback on your résumé (follow strategies in the Résumé Resource Guide for BBA Admission Application before meeting)
- Finding other campus resources to help you improve your current academic performance and your GPA
- Exploring and choosing a major
To make an appointment with a pre-business advisor, click here.
Click here for more information about applying as a transfer student.
High School Student?
Click here for more information about applying through our direct admit program.
Ready to apply?