Share This Page
Katie Hensel, Wisconsin School of Business alumnae and Tri 4 Schools founder

Nonprofit Started by BBA Alum Is Semifinalist for National Award

by Brittney Mitchell Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Madison nonprofit Tri 4 Schools, which was started by Wisconsin School of Business alumnae Katie Hensel (BBA ’06), is competing to win $10,000 from the Partnership for a Healthier America. Tri 4 Schools helps children stay active through participation in youth fitness events, including triathlons and mud runs.

The End Childhood Obesity Innovation Challenge called for contestants to submit a short video explaining their creative idea to combat childhood obesity. A panel of judges voted on the submissions, and 10 semifinalists (one of which was Tri 4 Schools) were chosen to move onto the next round of public voting on Facebook.

The three videos that earn the most votes win a trip in March 2013 to the Building a Healthier Future Summit in Washington D.C., hosted by honorary chairwoman Michelle Obama. The winning video will be chosen at the summit and that organization wins $10,000 for their idea.
 
Although Tri 4 School’s main purpose is to teach children about setting and achieving goals in fitness, nutrition, sportsmanship, and self-confidence, the organization also helps schools. The organization distributes 75% of race proceeds to the schools of participants; the other 25% is divided among the five schools in Dane County with the highest percentage of economically disadvantaged children. The donations are used to help fund fitness and nutrition programs.

You can vote for Tri 4 Schools here. Voting ends February 1, 2013 at noon (a Facebook account is required to vote.)