Starting a business? Success in small business depends on hard work, good fortune, and business knowledge. Attend this eight-session course to develop your management skills. Experts in law, accounting, banking, insurance, management, and marketing cover the fundamentals of small business management. Gain knowledge about growth stages and problems, marketing, promotion and advertising, legal issues and requirements, record-keeping, accounting and financial management, financing, insurance and risk management, and business plans.
See sessions tab for more information
- NEIL LERNER
- VICKY JONES
- JUSTIN JOHNSON
- MARK KREBSBACH
- JANET HARTUNG RENFERT
- JENNIFER KNUDSON
- CRAIG B. MILLER
- JOHN RONZIA
- ADRIANNE MACHINA
- KAREN BENDER
- ROLLIE BOEDING
Director, UW-Madison Small Business Development Center:
-Session One (Small business and the owner/manager)
President, Victoria Jones Strategic Marketing Communications:
-Session Two (Marketing: your overall strategy & promotional plan)
Justin Johnson, Mark Krebsbach or Janet Hartung Renfert
Partners with Porter & Sack, CPAs:
-Session Three (Record Keeping, Accounting & Taxes)
Jennifer Knudson or Craig B. Miller
Neider & Boucher, S.C.
-Session Four (Legal issues and requirements)
BMO Harris Bank
-Session Five (Finance your business)
-Session Six (Using the Web and social media for your business)
-Session Seven (Human Resources side of Business)
State risk manager, WI Department of Administration
-Session Seven (Insurance and Risk Management)
Business AnswerLine coordinator, Small Business Development Center
-Session Eight (The Real Story: Testimonial from a small business owner)
Session One: (Small business and the owner/manager)
- Look at critical issues for small business managers; Examine the growth stages of a business; Focus your efforts with a business plan; Prepare for the future of your business.
Session Two: (HR side of Business & story from a small business owner)
- Hiring your first employee and other human resource issues and resources.
Session Three: (Insurance and risk management)
- Determine your insurance and risk management needs; Evaluate the insurance counseling you receive.
Session Four: (Legal issues and requirements)
- Determine the best legal entity for your business and how your choice affects your liability and taxes; Review unemployment compensation, independent contractors, intellectual property; discrimination; vicarious liability and deceptive advertising.
Session Five: (Record keeping, accounting and taxes )
Session Six: (Finance your business)
- Learn about sources of financing for your business and meeting the requirements of financing sources; Reduce your financial risk; Selecting and working with a bank
Session Seven: (Using the Web and social media for your Business)
Session Eight: (Marketing: your overall strategy & promotional plan)