Earn the New Standard in HR Certification.
Prepare with the Wisconsin Small Business Development Center at UW-Madison’s SHRM Learning System for CP/SCP course.
Establish yourself as a globally-recognized human resource expert by earning the new standard in HR certification: SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP™) and SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP™). Ensure you’re prepared
for the new SHRM credential candidates. Expand and test your knowledge and practical, real-life competencies in areas critical for HR career success.
This intensive 12 weeks/one day a week program combines expert instruction with
the SHRM Learning System® for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP, so you will learn faster, retain more knowledge and stay on track for success on the exam.
Our course is based on the NEW 2015 SHRM Learning System® for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP. Comprised of comprehensive learning modules teaching the SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge™ (SHRM BoCK™), and advanced online multimedia resources, these study materials streamline study time, accelerate learning and build confidence for passing the SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP exam.
. By attending our course, you’ll benefit from:
- An experienced, certified instructor
- The SHRM Learning System, historically ranked the #1 HR certification prep tool
- A structured learning experience that keeps you on track
- Opportunities to network and learn from your peers
- Tuition reimbursement and up to 36 professional development credits (PDCs)
This course is offered in partnership with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), the world’s largest HR membership organization devoted to human resource management. The course investment includes all course materials but does not cover registration for the SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP examinations.
Who Should Take this Course?
Our certification preparation course is designed primarily for individuals seeking SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification.
Certification is a great choice for HR professionals who want to:
- Increase their knowledge
- Advance their skills
- Earn recognition from the global community
Advancing your career. For those not seeking certification, the SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP course provides a comprehensive and accelerated option for professional development. Participants gain a generalist viewpoint, refresh key ideas and concepts, strengthen their understanding of core HR competencies and increase productivity.
Beth Weiler, SPHR
Beth is a Human Resources professional with 15 years of experience. She has a solid background in many aspects of HR including: performance management, coaching and counseling employees, managing difficult terminations, training and development, recruiting, labor relations, and safety. Beth has worked in a variety of industries including financial services and professional services firms, as well as manufacturing.
Beth graduated with honors from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and received her Bachelor of Business Administration degree, majoring in Finance. She recently obtained her SPHR Certification and is a local and national member of the Society for Human Resource Management. Beth also serves on the Patient and Family Advisory Council for the American Family Children’s Hospital.
Judy Peirick, SPHR
Judy is the Vice President of Human Resources at Webcrafters, Inc. She has over 25 years of Human Resource experience in health care and manufacturing. Her primary areas of responsibility have included strategic planning, employee and labor relations, compensation, benefits, training, and safety.
Judy graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a Bachelors of Business Administration in Management. She is very involved in the community and has served on numerous boards including United Way, Meriter Retirement Services, The Alliance, and the Wisconsin Collaborative for Healthcare Quality. Judy also has served on several human resource advisory committees including the Council on Wisconsin Strategies, W-2 steering committee, Workforce Development Board, Oakwood, and United Cerebral Palsy to name just a few.
Karen Bender, SPHR
Karen is a Human Resources professional with over 25 years of experience, ranging from a large multi-national to a local start-up. She has extensive experience working in both union and non-union environments in manufacturing, but has also worked in health insurance. Duties have included all facets of HR tasks in both a manager and director role. She has led teams that have earned recognition for their accomplishments in safety, environmental, and wellness arenas. Currently, Karen is the Director of HR and Admin Services for a start-up technology company in Madison.
What is the
The SHRM Learning System® for PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation Course?
The SHRM Learning System provides the most comprehensive and effective PHR/SPHR training program through a blended format of printed workbooks, learning software, and web-based study tools. This easy-to-use system includes key elements that make it the most comprehensive product on the market. The materials are included in the course fee! That is a $695 value for national SHRM members and $860 for everyone else.
1. Printed workbooks
- Six print modules teach the HR Certification Institute body of knowledge tested in PHR and SPHR exams.
- Printed glossary of terms and subject index for each module.
- Easy-to-identify icons highlight key content and links to additional resources.
- SPHR Preparation Book specifically designed for SPHR candidates.
2. Learning software online
- Pretest to gauge current knowledge.
- Two module-specific tests for each module to check mastery of key topics.
- Glossary of key terms and subject index for each module.
- 100 question post-test mirrors the HR Certification Institute certification exam to hone test-taking skills and assess progress.
- Two bonus tests for additional testing practice.
- eFlashcards to review key HR terms and legislation.
- A final review test with 1,040 questions.
3. Mobile Study Tools
You can now access the SHRM Learning System’s online study tools* using your mobile phone’s browser capabilities on devices such as iPhone, Blackberry, Palm Pre, Windows Mobile, or Google Android. The following Web-based tools have been reformatted for on-the-go learners:
- More than 1,000 review questions
- Access to the Online Resource Center
- 100-question post-test that mirrors the HR Certification Institute certification exam
- Flashcards with over 750 glossary terms
- Progress reports to measure your learning
Maximize your downtime. Whether you have a long commute, business travel, or are waiting for an appointment, you can study whenever and wherever you choose with the SHRM Learning System.
4. Online Resource Center includes
- Up-to-date legislative changes and new HR developments.
- Test-taking strategies for approaching the HR Certification Institute exam and increasing success rates.
- Ask-The-Expert section to ask follow-up questions to certified professionals.
- Free webcasts and audiocasts highlighting essential topics, available 24 hours a day.
- A feedback feature that provides opportunities for program evaluations and suggestions.
- Links to additional information cited in the modules.
- Printable eFlashcards with over 750 key terms.
See the online HRCI Certification Handbook for details. If you have any further questions regarding the PHR or SPHR exams, please visit www.hrci.org or call HRCI at 800-283-7476, Option #4, or e-mail email@example.com.
Below are the current eligibility requirements. The upcoming testing window is your last chance to certify under the current requirements.
|1 year of demonstrated exempt-level HR experience with a Master’s degree or higher
||4 years of demonstrated exempt-level HR experience with a Master’s degree or higher
|2 years of demonstrated exempt-level HR experience with a Bachelor’s degree
||5 years of demonstrated exempt-level HR experience with a Bachelor’s degree
|4 years of demonstrated exempt-level HR experience with less than a Bachelor’s degree
||7 years of demonstrated exempt-level HR experience with less than a Bachelor’s degree
All certification testing is computer-based and conducted at the 250 Prometric Test Centers around the country. Testing periods are May 1 to June 30 and December 1 to January 31. For best results, schedule your certification exam for a date that is after the end of your particular class section. For information on the exam and how to register, visit www.hrci.org.
There is no single course of study that guarantees success on the HRCI examinations, but thousands of individuals have used the SHRM. Learning System to study for the exams.
The most up-to-date learning modules
The SHRM Learning System includes six modules covering the entire HR Certification Institute body of knowledge so you’ll learn everything you need for the PHR or SPHR exam. Modules were updated to reflect the new HR practice and legislation in the HR Certification Institute’s body of knowledge.
Business Management and Strategy
- Strategic role of HR in organizations
- HR business management skills
- Strategic planning process
- Evaluating the internal/external environment
- HR and the legislative and regulatory environment
Workforce Planning and Employment
- Employee rights, privacy and consumer protection legislation
- Organizational staffing requirements
- Job analysis and documentation
- Recruitment, flexible staffing, selection and retention
Human Resource Development
- Organizational development initiatives
- Adult learning and motivation
- Training and development
- Talent and performance management
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation structure and systems
- Benefit programs (Government mandated, deferred comp plans, health care and other non-statutory benefits)
- Compensation and benefits legislation
- Evaluating compensation and benefits programs
Employee and Labor Relations
- Employee and labor relations legislation
- Union organizing and collective bargaining
- Unfair labor practices
- Discipline and complaint resolution
- Organizational risk
- Workplace safety, health, security and privacy
- Risk management legislation
More ways to learn
Whatever your learning style, you’ll find ways to test your knowledge and build confidence. Use the interactive case study, featuring real-life scenarios and questions, to apply your knowledge. And, check out the Online Learning Center for a wealth of supplemental study materials:
- Quickstarts – guided overviews for each module highlight key topics
- Assessment – identifies topics a participant already knows and those areas that require more time and attention
- Tests – more than 1,000 questions for continually testing knowledge and comprehension
- Post-test – weighted and balanced to mimic the scored PHR/SPHR exam; presented in the style and format used by the HR Certification Institute
- Online Resource Center – includes downloadable audio and web casts, flashcards (printed, online or audio), HR updates, related links, feedback feature and more.
For more information about The SHRM Learning System® for PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation Course, contact Julie Wood by calling 608-263-9675 or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about SHRM testing dates and procedures, contact HRCI at www.hrci.org
Registrants who cancel will receive a refund less a $10 processing fee if we receive written notification postmarked on or before the start of the program. No refund will be granted after the program begins. If the UW-Madison Small Business Development Center cancels the program, a full refund (less the $10 processing fee) will be given. A substitute may attend if we receive before the start of the program. The Small Business Development Center reserves the right to substitute instructors, change the day a program meets, or cancel programs due to insufficient enrollment or unforeseen events.
The Grainger Hall, Lot 7 parking entrance is on Brooks street between University Ave. and Johnson St.
Lot 7 beneath Grainger Hall, owned and operated by UW Transportation Services, has been converted into an hourly, pay-as-you-go lot. Please take a ticket from the automated gate upon entering. Prior to exiting, pay at either the Cashier’s Station in the P1 central elevator lobby, or at the pay kiosks located throughout the parking garage. Hourly parking costs $1 every half hour for the first two hours, and $1 per hour after the first two hours (maximum $12 per day). Advance Permits: A limited number of advance permits may be available through Conference Services on a first-come, first-served basis. Please click here for more information.
Additional parking is available to the public at the Lake Street/Frances Street Parking Ramp which is located between Lake and Frances Streets, near State Street, and is three blocks from the Fluno Center and Grainger Hall School of Business, and two blocks from The Pyle Center. This lot does not require a reservation, but often fills up early. Parking may also be found at the Lucky/University Square Parking Ramp located off Johnson St, 1/2 Block East of Park St.