Whether you're a college freshman or a graduating senior, there are several things that all students should do to make the most out of their college education and prepare for life post-UW. Think of this list (from Debt-free Scholar) as your college bucket list. How many items do YOU want to be able to cross off?
1. Keep a Budget – Design your own budget and follow it.
2. Win a Scholarship – Work hard enough to win at least one scholarship.
3. Start a Savings Account – Learn to start saving your money.
4. File Your Own Tax Return – It is long and hard, but filing your own taxes is a part of becoming an adult.
5. Get To Know Your Professors – Don’t just attend their classes, invite them out to lunch.
6. Learn a Foreign Language – In our increasingly-international world, this is a very important skill.
7. Learn To Study – If you learn how to learn, you know more than most people.
8. Ask Questions In Class – Don’t be afraid to ask useful questions in class – it will help you and your fellow students.
9. Tutor Another Student – Teaching another student will help you learn better.
10. Write a Resume – This will help you find a good job after school.
11. Start a Website – Though not for everyone, a good website can set you apart in your field.
12. Find a Mentor – In your freshman year, find a mentor who is well established in your chosen field.
13. Complete an Internship – This will help you gain valuable experience not found in books.
14. Build a Network – You will be able to find a job much faster with a large network.
15. Create Yearly Goal Lists – This will help you to accomplish more.
16. Develop a Daily Routine – Having a daily schedule will make you more effective.
17. Build a Five Year Plan – Know where you want to go and how you want to get there.
18. Practice Public Speaking – In nearly any career field, good speaking skills will help you advance.
19. Learn To Write – This skill is just as important as speaking.
20. Write an Article for Your Campus Paper – This will help you hone your writing skills.
21. Cook From Scratch – Learn to cook something other than Ramon noodles.
22. Establish a Workout Routine – Keep your body healthy, and you will be able to accomplish much more.
23. Read Biographies – Learn from the successes and failures of others. I have a goal of reading 50 this year.
24. Find a Hobby – Something that you enjoy doing in your spare time. Mine is blogging.
25. Go Camping – Every person should do this at least once.
What would you add to the list as a UW-Madison student?