The Business Career Center is accepting applications for Peer Advisors until March 28th. Peer Advisors provide assistance to students on general career-related topics. Read on for details…
Peer Advisors work as an extension of the Business Career Center (BCC) professional staff to provide advising-related resources and high quality service to students. The BCC provides comprehensive and innovative career services to undergraduate business students, prospective business students, Certificate in Business students, Master of Accountancy students, as well as Master of Science candidates in Actuarial Science and Quantitative Finance. In addition, the BCC develops collaborative partnerships with employers to connect students to career information and opportunities.
Comprehensive training will be provided to familiarize Peer Advisors with the BCC.
Peer Advisor Responsibilities Include:
• Provide one-on-one assistance to students during drop-in advising on general career-related topics including resume writing, cover letter writing, career fair preparation, BuckyNet navigation, basic interview preparation, networking and proper business etiquette
• Assist with Orientation Sessions including coordinating registration and presenting sessions when needed
• Suggest creative strategies to market the BCC to students, primarily through social media, and implement as appropriate
• Conduct basic mock interviews with students and provide appropriate feedback
• Staff the BCC front desk and field questions from students, employers, faculty and alumni
• Represent the BCC at career events and workshops
• Gather statistical and evaluative information
• Develop extensive knowledge of BCC resources and services
• Assist with semester-long office projects
• Other duties as assigned
• 12-15 hour time commitment per week during the 2011-2012 academic year (lunch hours and afternoons preferred; some evening hours required)
• Solid verbal, written and listening skills required
• Interpersonal skills, desire to help others, and ability to work with diverse populations
• Strong customer service orientation and professionalism when working with students
• Flexibility, punctuality, and reliable attendance
• Attention to detail
• Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment
• Highly motivated to educate students about BCC services and resources
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as BuckyNet preferred
• Participation in training sessions and meetings
• Substantial part-time employment, internship and/or study abroad experience strongly preferred
• Juniors and seniors in the Wisconsin School of Business as well as graduate students are preferred
The position will being at the start of the fall 2011 semester, but selected candidates will be required to participate in paid training during the weeks of April 25th, May 2nd and August 29th.
Please respond to the following questions and submit your answers along with a resume and cover letter to Sarah Barber at email@example.com. Applications must be received by Monday, March 28 at 4:30 p.m. Please limit each answer to 250 words.
1. Describe why you are interested in the Business Career Center’s Peer Advisor position.
2. Describe any experiences/activities (including employment, student organizations, volunteer activities, community experiences or coursework) that you feel are related to your interest in and qualifications for the Peer Advisor position.
3. Describe a time when you assisted a fellow student one-on-one and provided constructive feedback in an academic or work setting.
4. Please list other commitments you have or foresee having during the 2011-2012 academic year.
You may also see the posting on BuckyNet.
The BCC is also hiring Employer Relations Assistants. Learn more!