Friday, October 21, 2011
The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX) annually awards 75 participants with a fellowship that allows them to gain an understanding of everyday life, education, and professional training in Germany. The CBYX is funded by the US Congress and German Parliament (Bundestag) and has a December 1 deadline.
The CBYX program is intended primarily for young adults in business, engineering, technical, vocational, scientific, and agricultural fields, though participants from all fields are encouraged to apply. Enrolled students, alumni, graduate students, and recent graduates are all eligible to take part, making the program an appealing option for graduating seniors. Students traditionally underrepresented in opportunities abroad are especially encouraged to apply.
The CBYX program year consists of:
- 2 months of intensive German language instruction
- 4 months of classroom instruction at a German university or vocational school
- 5 month internship in the participant's career field
- Housing with a host family, shared-apartment, or student dorm for full immersion in the German language and culture
Applicants must be between the ages of 18-24 at the start of the program, and should have some work (or internship) experience in their career field. Previous German language knowledge is not required, but is strongly preferred.
The CBYX fellowship includes:
- Round-trip international airfare
- Tuition for university in Germany
- Cost of host family or shared apartment monthly stipend during schooling phase
- Pre-program, midyear, and final seminars
- Assistance finding internship through regional offices in Germany
- Support throughout the year from German partner organization (Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit)
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Between 18 and 24 years old at the start of the program
- High school diploma
- Clear career goals, and some relevant work or internship experience in career field (all fields eligible to apply)
- Strong interest in international affairs and Germany
- Able to demonstrate flexibility, independence, and diplomacy
- Strong sense of American identity
The application deadline is December 1, 2011 for the program beginning in July 2012. For more information and to apply online, visit www.cbyx.info