It’s Advising Awareness Week in the Wisconsin School of Business! Check back each day this week to meet the academic and career advisors for your major and learn how to make the most of your advising experience. Today, meet Katie Coon and Kelly Cuene, the advising team for the Information Systems major.
As your academic advisor, my role is to
- work together with you on course selection, sequencing, and credit load,
- consult with you about questions you have regarding Wisconsin BBA academic policies,
- assist you in planning for the types of courses you will take if and when you study abroad,
- refer you to academic and other campus resources as appropriate, and more.
As an alumna of UW-Madison, I take great pride in being a Badger. From an early age, I knew I wanted to attend UW-Madison, and for the past three years, I’ve been fortunate to work at UW as well. I am very passionate about working with college students and enjoy meeting as many students as possible. In addition to my advising role, I coordinate SOAR and First-Year Advising sessions and contribute to myBiz.
I spend as much time as possible outdoors, doing anything from running and biking to my new favorite hobby: stand-up paddle boarding. I also enjoy cooking and traveling. My favorite day of the week is Sunday because I have an extreme love for NFL football!
As your career advisor, my role is to partner with you to help you make well-informed decisions about all aspects of your career, including:
- resume, cover letter and interview skills preparation,
- career options in information systems, IT and other industries,
- employer research strategies,
- networking strategies,
- evaluation of employment offers and more.
I grew up in De Pere, Wisconsin (near Green Bay) and am waiting for my father to get tired of sitting outside in arctic weather conditions at Lambeau Field so that I can have his season tickets and enjoy the frozen tundra myself. I am an alumna of UW-Madison and completed my masters degree in Higher Education Administration at New York University. Even though I loved living in New York, I am a true Sconnie at heart and relocated back to Wisconsin about four years ago. In addition to career advising, I also coordinate BCC workshops, compile salary statistics and help manage our social media pages (find us on Facebook
!). In my free time, I like running, yoga, hiking, and taking on do-it-yourself projects around my house.
How to Schedule an Appointment with your Advisors
To schedule an appointment with Katie for academic and course-related questions:
- Login to myUW online, scroll to Katie’s name as one of your advisors, click it, and select an available time (displayed in green) from the calendar, or
- Visit the UAS front desk, 3150 Grainger Hall, or
- Call (608) 262-0471
To schedule an appointment with Kelly for internship or career advising questions:
- Visit the BCC front desk, 3290 Grainger Hall, or
- Call (608) 262-2550
To better accommodate your brief questions or special situations needing immediate attention, drop-in advising is available in both UAS and the BCC from 11:30-1:30 Monday-Friday of every week
. Drop-in advising appointments are generally 10-15 minutes.