Thursday, October 13, 2011
It’s Advising Awareness Week in the Wisconsin School of Business! Check back each day this week to meet the academic and career advisor for your major and learn how to make the most of your advising experience. Today, meet Sarah Barber and Ruth Joyce, the advising team for the Management and Human Resources major.
As your career advisors, the Business Career Center’s role is to partner with you to help you make well-informed decisions about all aspects of your career, including:
- resume, cover letter and interview skills preparation,
- career options in real estate and other industries,
- employer research strategies,
- networking strategies,
- evaluation of employment offers and more.
I have been the MHR career advisor for over four years and have loved working with students with an interest in management, human resources and entrepreneurship. My tenure in this role will be ending on Oct. 25. I will be available for any questions you have up to that day and then you will be in the very capable hands of my advising colleagues in the Business Career Center. I look forward to seeing you around Grainger this week!
As your academic advisor, my role is to
- work together with you on course selection, sequencing, and credit load,
- consult with you about questions you have regarding Wisconsin BBA academic policies,
- assist you in planning for the types of courses you will take if and when you study abroad,
- refer you to academic and other campus resources as appropriate, and more.
On Wisconsin! I grew up on a dairy farm outside Darlington and I attended the University of Wisconsin – Platteville where I earned a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and a Master of Science in Education specializing in College Student Personnel. Prior to receiving my Master’s degree I worked in banking and advertising. I have been enjoying a career in higher education for many years and have worked at several campuses in Wisconsin. I am extremely pleased to have this opportunity to be your academic advisor.
I share my life with my husband, Pat, and our cairn terrier, Girlfriend. We live near the bike trail on Lake Monona so I enjoy biking my way around Madison. I enjoy watching collegiate and professional sports, especially football and basketball. I am a fan of the Atlanta Braves baseball team and of the Professional Bull Riders (PBR). I especially enjoy reading a good book.
How to Schedule an Appointment with your Advisors
To schedule an appointment for academic and course-related questions:
- Login to myUW online, scroll to Ruth’s name as one of your advisors, click it, and select an available time (displayed in green) from the calendar, or
- Visit the UAS front desk, 3150 Grainger Hall, or
- Call (608) 262-0471
To schedule an appointment for internship or career advising questions:
- Visit the BCC front desk, 3290 Grainger Hall, or
- Call (608) 262-2550
To better accommodate your brief questions or special situations needing immediate attention, drop-in advising is available in both UAS and the BCC from 11:30-1:30 Monday-Friday of every week
. Drop-in advising appointments are generally 10-15 minutes.