Photo © UW-Madison University Communications
Congratulations! You’ve signed up for SOAR, making you one step closer to starting your exciting journey at UW-Madison. Want to know what happens at SOAR and what past SOAR participants have to say? Continue reading…
For first-year students, SOAR will be two days. If you haven’t already taken your placement exam, you’ll start Day One that way. After that, all SOAR participants will meet up at the registration and resource fair until all students and guests are officially welcomed by UW-Madison faculty and staff (I guarantee this address will make you proud to be a Badger!). The rest of the day you’ll learn what it truly means to be a UW-Madison student.
Day 2 will focus on academics at UW-Madison. You’ll start out by hearing a brief presentation about the different academic options on campus, and then you’ll choose which school or college you’d like to spend the day with (If you’re interested in business, make sure you come with the School of Business group). If you choose to come with the School of Business, you will spend the morning learning about degree and program requirements, understanding your AP/IB scores, transfer credits, and placement test scores, and developing a fall schedule – all with the guidance of a professional or peer advisor.
After lunch, you will continue to develop a fall schedule and will enroll in courses. You’ll learn about many of the resources available to you and will have the opportunity to individually meet you’re your academic advisor before leaving for the day.
Remember to bring the following items with you to your academic advising session:
- Your campus ID number (you’ll want to memorize this soon!)
- Your log-in and password for your NetID (this is how you log-in to your email and Student Center)
- Your score report(s) for any AP/IB/CLEP exams you’ve taken (if available when you come to SOAR)
- Your final transcript for any completed college credits from other institutions (if you don’t have the transcript yet, come with the exact course number and course title)
- A state or federal ID (ex: driver’s license, passport) so you can obtain your UW-Madison photo ID
Remember to check the SOAR website for travel and parking information, check-in information, FAQs and more.
Excited to attend SOAR? We look forward to seeing you soon!
Keyword: SOAR experience