Friday, April 30, 2010
Our UW team of five outstanding students placed 1st in a highly competitive field of five schools. Congratulations to Andrew Berger, Alissa Kearney, Scott Larson, Katelyn Murray and Nate Ross!
The final tally was as follows:
1st University of Wisconsin-Madison ($1,000 prize money + trophy)
2nd St. Cloud State University
3rd University of Northern Iowa, University of St. Thomas, Marquette University
This year's NAIOP competition consisted of students receiving an old industrial site (Bennett Lumber site) in the vibrant and residential neighborhood of Uptown Minneapolis. The students toured the site in late February and submitted a full development plan by mid-April and presented their development plan to a judging panel of 6 local developers/investors and 130+ Minnesota NAIOP Chapter members.
The case covered many challenging real estate concepts, including:
1) Understanding what is legally permissible and targeted for the neighborhood
2) Understanding macro and micro economic indicators for the area and their timing implications
3) Understanding spatial linkages and how to develop a site plan that incorporates access to these linkages
4) Highest and best use and land comp analysis
5) Tenant mix for multi-family and residential
6) Capital structure with proper incentives and risk mitigation for all parties involved, including a cash flow waterfall
Contact Arif Qureshi (email@example.com) in the Real Estate Department for more information.
Keyword: NAIOP competition