Tuesday, November 23, 2010
As you enroll for spring courses, you may notice that some courses are already full. Please read on for the correct procedure in accessing closed courses; pay particular attention to information about the new wait list feature in your Student Center.
UW-Madison is introducing the wait list feature in your Student Center for the first time this spring. If a class is closed and the department is maintaining a waiting list, a yellow triangle will display on that section throughout Class Search and the enrollment process in the Student Center. If you would like to be placed on the wait list, while on the Enrollment Preferences page, you'll need to check the box titled 'Please Wait List Me' and continue through the enrollment process to finalize your request. If you are allowed to enroll for the class section, you will be notified via email. Enrolling for the class is the student's responsibility. For more wait list FAQs, please click here. You can also see the demo.
Not all courses will utilize the online wait list. If you do not see the yellow triangle next to a closed course, please refer to the following instructions:
1. Keep the course in your Wish List and continue trying to enroll. Students often add and drop courses up until the 2nd week of classes.
2. If it is a course in a School of Business department: there is a Business Course Permission form that will be available beginning on the first day of classes on our Forms page at bus.wisc.edu/undergrad. You can fill it out, print it, and take to your instructor to see if you can get permission to enroll. Please follow instructions on the form carefully!
3. If it is a course in a non-business department: contact the department or instructor to see if they have a waiting list, or if there is another way to try to get into their closed courses.
4. If all else fails, go to the first day of class. Instructors are more likely to authorize you into a course if you show interest in what they have to teach.
5. Please remember, your academic advisor is not able to help you get into a closed course.